Sulzrieden was called "Berca minor" (Kleinberka) or "Sulzridin" in earlier centuries. It was first mentioned in records in 1197 and deserted again in the 14th century.
The former cemetery of Sulzrieden was discovered in 1936 during the construction of a shooting range. Archaeological investigations showed on the basis of burial gifts that Slavs were buried next to Christians here. This suggests a peaceful coexistence – and that this was the place of one of the westernmost settlements of Slavs in Thuringia in the 9th and 10th century.
The name Sulzrieden originates from "salty reed" or "salty marsh" and gives as clue as to why this settlement was founded. The settlers acted by order of secular landowners and cleared forests, drained marshes and colonised wastelands.
A spring, the Silberborn, is believed to be the place where the former village well was. An old legend has it that all newborn babies from Berka come from the Silberborn. This spring has its source unde the rootstock of the mighty Silberbornlinde, a lime tree.